City of Yorkton and SGI CANADA prepare for spring melt
March 31, 2011
The City of Yorkton and SGI CANADA are sharing tips to help residents keep their basements dry this spring.
A heavier than usual spring runoff is expected this year due to the wettest fall on record and a higher than average snowfall. To guard against water in basements, the City and SGI CANADA encourage residents to:
- Clear neighbourhood catch basins to help water drain.
- Shovel or remove snow from around your home and move it so it will drain away from the foundation.
- Clear channels in the ice/snow to allow melt water to drain away.
- Ensure downspouts are extended so they discharge rain or meltwater at least two meters away from the foundation.
- Check to make sure your sump pump is working. If you don’t have a sump pump, consider installing one. Contact a plumber for assistance if required.
- Consider installing a mainline Sewer Backwater Valve to protect against sewer backup if you don’t have one.
- Keep basement sewer caps in place.
- Check your basement regularly for signs of water and consider installing a water-sensing alarm.
SGI CANADA is also getting ready for the melt by reminding residents to protect their homes from flooding, seepage and sewer backup. Although the SGI CANADA Home Pak policy covers many water escape and rupture situations, damage caused by flooding, seepage and continuous or repeated leakage is not covered. Sewer backup insurance is often sold as an optional coverage and may be subject to certain conditions, limitations or exclusions. Ask your insurance broker for details.